I wrote about gluten free snacks for the big game that is coming up in one short week, but I wanted to add one more gluten free option. And what goes better with football than chili? This is my own chili recipe and it has a secret ingredient! Except, I’m going to tell you what the secret ingredient is so, I guess it’s not secret, just special. I should add before you dive in, this is not a “quick” recipe. It’s going to take like 20 minutes to prepare and then another 1-2 hours of cooking time.
1 lb ground beef (I used 90% lean)
1 small onion
1 green pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 19 oz can of kidney beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 T chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (special ingredient alert!)
3 T Olive Oil
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium/low heat
2. Chop onion, pepper, parsley and garlic and add to the olive oil. Cook on medium low, stir occasionally until onions become translucent.
3. Add salt, pepper, chili powder and cinnamon.
4. Turn up the heat on the pan to medium/high and add the ground beef. Stir often to break up the meat.
5. Rinse and add the black beans and the kidney beans.
6. Add the tomato sauce and the diced tomatoes
7. Stir together and allow to come to a boil and then lower heat to low. Allow to cook for 1-2 hours on low heat.
I feel weird saying this about something that I made up myself, but this is SOOOO good. It’s not hot, but it’s smoky and I don’t know how to describe what the cinnamon does, but it’s good. And, if you have your own super game day chili recipe, try adding a pinch of cinnamon to it next time!